Saturday, January 1, 2011

Daddy Talk

I knew my life would be changed forever when I found out that I was going to become a father. I remember the excitement and terror that I felt as Emily and I embraced and celebrated the moment together. I remember how I felt when I found out that we were going to have a girl. I was just happy that at that point, the baby had been healthy. I didn't care if we had a boy or not. I remember how it felt going home that day and thinking about all of the "girl stuff" that we would have to buy in the years to come, boyfriends, proms, an aisle that I would have to walk her down one day....that was all kind of overwhelming to say the least.

I remember the day that she was born. I was scared to death! I remember the first time that me, Em, and my new little girl were all alone for the first time in our labor/delivery room . I cried my eyes out as I walked around holding her, talking to her and promising everything under the sun to her. The weight of fatherhood hit me at that moment and I think that is when I officially became a "dad."

I remember our first night at home with our newborn....the scariest night of my life by far! She cried and cried and cried all night long! Em and I combined for maybe 3 hours of sleep that night. We were so frustrated and afraid that we considered taking her back to the hospital and "hanging out there for a couple more days."

We have had so many memories over the last two and a half years. God has truly blessed us. It has not been easy, but it has been worth every moment. The adventures continue as we are on the verge of finally conquering potty-training! So many things ahead in the years to come and so many more memories to make.

As a father, I often think of my Heavenly Father's love for me. I believe that God "cheers us on" for every time that we win a small victory in the game of life. I believe that He too is concerned for us when we go through circumstances that we feel unable to bear. He of course is confident in these situations, because He has had experience walking through the same things that we deal with on this journey. I even believe that He shakes His head with disappointment when we stumble over the same issues that He has warned us about so many different times. Sometimes we have have to be "disciplined" in order to receive correction and awareness to what path we should be on.  Despite our ignorance and rebellion, His love for us is unchanged.

No matter the current relationship status between you and your Heavenly Father, His passion for you is certain. You are the most exciting being in the world to Him just as my daughter is for me. Everyday I can't wait to see my daughter's face and hear her say "I love you daddy." Nothing beats that!

Don't forget that God feels the same way about you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment